So touching. In a new chat with The Entertainer, Annie shares her growing up experiences and sacrifices her mother made after they were abandoned by their father. Read the excerpts:
- Ordinarily, people would expect to see the pompous wife of a big star like Tuface but that does not seem to be the case with you. You’re so humble?
- How old were you when your parents divorced?
irrelevant talking about it now because we have moved on.
- Your parents separated 20 years ago. How did it affect you?
- Could you talk about the sacrifices you made as a kid to support your mother financially?
- How did your brother die?
- Where did you grow up?
We lived in Ibadan with our parents when my father was working with Mobil and my mother was a house wife. She remained a house wife until they separated. I was born with a silver spoon but I didn’t grow up with it. After their divorce, my mother got a job with Mobil working as a cook to support us. Thereafter, we moved to Jakande Estate, Lekki, Lagos. From there we moved to Thomas Estate, also on the Island. After the entire struggle, God has blessed us tremendously. I am the last child. My eldest brother is married and my elder brother lives in Atlanta; he is also married.
- How did that experience shape you?
It made me stronger and independent as a woman. As the only girl, my mother taught me to do domestic chores. Today as a married woman, I have domestic staff but I still cook and do house chores. I started working immediately after I graduated from secondary school at age 15. I worked as a sales girl in a boutique and two other places before I got admission to study, leading up to my diploma. I also worked part time as an undergraduate of Computer Science at the Lagos State University when I was 18-years-old. Thereafter, I got admission into the University of Lagos where I bagged a degree in Theatre Arts. Growing up wasn’t easy, my sister. I have never shared this before in the media but I think God wants His name to be exalted in my life.
- What is your advice to couples on divorce?
- Have you reconciled with your father?