Saturday 27 September 2014

Foluke Daramola- What influenced my dressing


Popular Yoruba actress, Foluke Daramola-Salako, talked with Ademola Olonilua about her fashion and style. 
  •  What influences your style?
I would say it is my mood and my comfort. I cannot wear leggings because it is in vogue, it would not look nice on me and if I have to wear one, I would have to wear a big shirt on it. 



  • Why were you fond of exposing your cleavage in the early stage of your career?

I was a teenager when I started acting. It started even before I got into the university. I had youthful exuberance and I was ready to explore life. At the end of the day, I guess I am more mature now and I believe that beauty is not in what you expose but in how you look. Beauty is about carrying oneself with poise.
  • At what point did you decide to change your style of dressing?
I wouldn’t say it happened at a particular time. It was when I was growing older, I just told myself that I was getting older and there was no need for me to expose my body. Also, when I started having kids, especially my daughter since I am her biggest role model; I stopped because. I have to carry myself in a way that I would want her to present herself in future.
  • As a busty lady, was there a time in your life you wished you did not have big boobs?
Of course, when I was much younger in secondary school, I used to wear both singlet and bra just to compress my boobs but later when people started admiring me, I grew to appreciate my bust and I began to see it as an asset rather than a burden. But when I was in secondary school, I used to be so conscious of it and I tried all I could to hide it. When I finished secondary school, I became aware of myself and I began to wear skimpy clothes till I got into the university and people told me that if I continued to wear skimpy clothes, lecturers would ask me out and I would make myself vulnerable, so I started wearing big shirts. Over time I grew to appreciate myself and love myself the way I am.
  • Was there any time you wished you were taller?
Yes especially when I look at tall ladies, I feel they look so nice. When they dress, clothes look very good on tall ladies. 
  • As a light-complexioned lady, how have you been able to maintain your skin despite the harsh weather?
There was a time bloggers were ‘yabbing’ me that I bleached my skin. When I went into my first marriage, I had a lot of challenges and because of that, I was not able to take care of my skin. I have never been a dark-complexioned person, neither have I been extremely fair. One thing about me is that I don’t like using harsh substance on my skin. Since I was about 10 years old, I would always have my bath in the morning and in the evening, I don’t miss it. I also use natural substances on my body like honey which I use to steam my face, ‘ori’ (shea butter) for my hair and whatever cream I use; baby oil has to be included. I like to look as natural as possible, I don’t like looking too artificial and that is why you can never find a tattoo on me. Whenever I use a cream and see that it is making my skin too fair, I stop using it and allow my skin to rest. I don’t like make-up so I allow my skin to breathe. When I was younger, I hardly used harsh substance on my skin. I have always been a tomboy.
  • What is your fashion weakness?
It is perfume and wristwatches. I am a sucker for any great fragrance. I am not too particular about brand names although I love them and I love body mist. For my wristwatch, I have a weakness for Michael Korrs. I have about 15 of them even though I have other brands too. One thing you would always find on me is my wristwatch and perfume.
  • How many wristwatches do you have?
Right now because I buy and give out, I think I have about 40 wristwatches while I have lost count of my perfume but it cannot be less than 60.
  • Some people believe that the more expensive the product, the more fashionable it is. Do you agree with that?
I think it is a Nigerian factor; it does not have to be expensive for it to be good. 
  • What would you never be seen wearing?
You will never see me wear a short skirt or a micro mini skirt; even though my husband really loves my legs. Because of my rape experience, I have phobia for mini skirts. I was wearing a mini-skirt then.
  • What is the fashion item you always admire on your husband?
A short sleeved native attire with a Michael Korrs suede blue wristwatch and his chain. He has this cap he wears that turns me on and his cologne drives me wild. When he is in that outfit, I smile to myself saying, ‘that is my man.’ 

No comments:

Post a Comment